Marion Ballew Thomas Scholarship offered by the Department of Ethnic Studies
Deadline: Friday, May 3rd, 2019 by 4:30pm
The Department of Ethnic Studies is offering either 2 scholarships of $500 each, or 1 scholarship of $1000. This funding will be awarded to culturally diverse, undergraduate Ethnic Studies majors or minors, or Native American Studies minors who are engaged in studies that further the development of their social awareness and analytical skills.
Preference will be given to students who:
1. Have demonstrated financial need for tuition/fees and or living expenses
2. Have a documented record of community service and engagement; OR
3. Are minoring/majoring in the natural sciences, the social sciences, peace studies, education, business or planning and public policy in addition to Ethnic Studies
Eligible students should submit:
- A short 2-3 page personal statement addressing their focus of study and relevant community work
- Transcripts (official or unofficial)
- One short letter of reference
Applications should be submitted digitally to the Ethnic Studies Department at email@example.com by 4:30pm, Friday, May 3rd. Please use the subject line: 2019 Ballew Thomas Scholarship Submission: Your Name.
Students who apply but do not receive the scholarship this year, may apply again next year. Students who are awarded this scholarship may apply to renew it until they are awarded their UO undergraduate degrees. Any renewal granted is dependent upon funding available for scholarships and the number of all applicants.
Award winners will be announced by Friday, May 31st. Scholarship funding will be distributed before the end of Spring Term.